Biggest Win in Test Cricket by Innings Pakistan created history on July 27, 2023, with a remarkable victory over Sri Lanka in the second Test match of the series. This historic win came as Pakistan defeated Sri Lanka by an innings and 222 runs, making it their biggest triumph in Test cricket by innings. This remarkable victory also set a new record for the largest margin of victory in a Test match in Sri Lanka.
Table of Contents
The match took place at the Sinhalese Sports Club in Colombo, and after winning the toss, Pakistan chose to bat first. They put up 563 runs in their first innings, primarily driven by outstanding centuries from Abdullah Shafique (160) and Azhar Ali (118). In response, Sri Lanka struggled, managing only 131 runs in their first innings, with Shaheen Afridi claiming 5 wickets.
Following a significant lead, Pakistan enforced the follow-on, and Sri Lanka’s batting woes continued in the second innings as they were once again dismissed for 191 runs, with Nauman Ali taking 5 wickets. This massive win of an innings and 222 runs sealed Pakistan’s dominant performance and their biggest win in Test cricket by innings.
Biggest Win in Test Cricket by Innings
The victory showcased Pakistan’s supremacy in Test cricket, solidifying their position as one of the top teams in the world. Having secured three consecutive Test victories, Pakistan currently holds the coveted number-one spot in the ICC Test rankings.
The previous record for the biggest win in Test cricket by innings was held by England, who defeated Australia by an innings and 149 runs in 1934. Pakistan’s victory over Sri Lanka was even more impressive considering that they were playing in Sri Lanka, which is traditionally a difficult place for visiting teams to win. This victory shows that Pakistan are now one of the top teams in the world in Test cricket, and they will be a force to be reckoned with in the upcoming Ashes series.
Cricket Highlights Video Pakistan vs Sri Lanka
Notable highlights from the match Pakistan vs Sri Lanka include:
- Abdullah Shafique’s brilliant century in the first innings, his second in Test cricket.
- Azhar Ali’s century in the first innings, marking his 11th Test century.
- Shaheen Afridi’s impressive 5-wicket haul in the first innings earned him the Man of the Match title.
- Nauman Ali’s 5-wicket haul in the second innings was also named the Man of the Match.
- Pakistan’s record-breaking innings and 222-run victory, their biggest in Test cricket.
Pakistan vs Sri Lanka Test Series Key Moments
Key moments from entire Pakistan vs Sri Lanka Test series:
- Pakistan secured a victory in the first Test by four wickets.
- In the second Test, Pakistan clinched a dominant innings and a 222-run win.
- With both Test wins, Pakistan claimed the series 2-0.
- Abdullah Shafique displayed outstanding form throughout the series, scoring two centuries.
- Azhar Ali’s consistent performance included a century and a half-century.
- Shaheen Afridi emerged as a key bowler, taking 18 wickets during the series.
- Nauman Ali’s exceptional bowling performance led to 16 wickets in the series.
Biggest victory of Pakistan’s in Test Cricket
Pakistan’s victory by an innings and 222 runs against Sri Lanka is the biggest win in Test cricket by innings. This achievement surpassed the previous record held by England, who defeated Australia by an innings and 149 runs in 1934.
The magnitude of Pakistan’s win is even more significant considering the challenges of playing in Sri Lanka, where visiting teams often struggle. This remarkable victory demonstrates Pakistan’s prowess as one of the top teams in the world in Test cricket, and it sets the stage for an exciting upcoming Ashes series.
Pakistan’s triumph over Sri Lanka showcased their dominance in Test cricket, elevating them to one of the top teams AND Biggest Win in Test Cricket by Innings. With a three-match winning streak and the number one ranking in the ICC Test rankings, Pakistan enters the upcoming Ashes series with confidence, aiming to continue their impressive form.
The historic victory against Sri Lanka will boost the team’s morale and set the tone for future performances.